PA Act 126- Child Abuse Recognition and Mandated Reporting
As of January 2, 2013, Act 126 requires that all school entities and independent contractors of school entities, including contracted substitute teachers, who have direct contact with children complete a three hour training every five years on child abuse recognition and mandated reporting.
This training must include the following components to comply with Act 126:
- Recognition of the signs of abuse and sexual misconduct and reporting requirements for suspected abuse and sexual misconduct in this Commonwealth
- Provisions of the “Professional Educator Discipline Act”, including mandatory reporting requirements
- Penn Cambria’s policy related to reporting suspected abuse and sexual misconduct (Our Policy # 806)
- Maintenance of professional and appropriate relationships with students
If an employee attends a training session outside of Penn Cambria, the employee must submit proof of completion (certificate, letter of verification, etc) AND complete the Penn Cambria Augmented Training Form to show that you have reviewed the PCSD Policy #806 regarding Child/Student Abuse and that you have met all other requirements of the Act 126 training. A copy of this form, additional information, and a listing of approved online providers can be found below.
Other Approved Providers ( as of PDE website updated 11/2014 )
Reminder: if you complete one of these trainings, you must also complete the PC Augmented Training Form found at the bottom of this page.
PA Child Welfare Resource Center – FREE – Complete this three hour online course provided online for free and print your certificate when complete. You do not have to complete the course in one session. During any future visits, you will get a pop up message asking if you would like to resume where you left off. www.reportabusepa.pitt.edu
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8 – IU8 is providing face-to-face training at various times and locations. Information is available under the Workshops/Trainings link at www.iu08.org .
- Board Policy 806 (pdf)
- ACT 126 – Augmented Mandated Reporter Training (pdf)
- PA_Code_Professional_Practice_Conduct_Educators (pdf)