Honors English Summer Reading Requirements – Summer 2019
Summer reading is a requirement for all students enrolling in Honors English classes at PC High School.
- Honors English students are expected to read widely and deeply as well as to communicate effectively in writing. Summer reading allows for the opportunity to read more literature and construct written responses in preparation for the next grade level.
- Writing and/or projects assigned based on summer reading requirements align to curricular objectives to which students have already been introduced. This provides the teacher with a formative assessment tool for identifying present levels for reading and writing, strengths, and areas for potential growth.
- Summer reading requirements are designed to introduce students to the task of handling independent work which requires students to be motivated and to develop the time management skills necessary to handle extended academic deadlines.
- Students in Honors English semester one or semester two must turn in the summer reading assignment to the appropriate Honors English teacher on the first day of school in August.
Feedback and Grading:
- Feedback on the summer reading assignment will be provided to students within two weeks of the start of the Honors English semester. See rubrics, assignment details, and sample responses below for specific information about expectations at each grade level.
- An objective test will be given on the summer novels within two weeks of the start of the Honors English semester.
- Assignments and tests associated with summer reading will constitute approximately 8-10% of the quarter grade for the first marking period of the Honors English semester.
Summer 2019 Novels and Assignments
Six Great Sherlock Holmes Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Click here for Grade9_Directions_Prompt_SampleEssay_Rubric_2019
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
Click here for: Gr10_Directions_Prompts_SampleEssay_Rubric_2019
A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
Bite of the Mango by Mariatu Kamara
Last Updated April 29, 2019